View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #6
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You ought to examine a couple flakes with a magnifier to see if you can get any idea what they may be. I can imagine they could even be coming from an oil filter that's coming apart. They sure don't look like anything I've seen in oil when something important is failing.

There are probably bronze bushings somewhere in the transmission, but I've never had a 250 transmission apart to know.

Has anyone seen clutch plates that color? I have not, but I haven't seen every clutch plate there is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Save what oil you need and send a sample off if you feel inclined. As far as the flakes go, send some with your sample as well and save a few for yourself. Next, test for magnetism. If the flakes are metal, then they will stick to the magnet, if not... then check the oil filter and clutch for possible abnormal wear. I am unaware of anything else in the oil pipeline that is even remotely close to that color. Purely judging by the pics, it's crap from a not so good oil filter but don't hurt to check.

Also, how in the world are you from cincy and we haven't meet at a bike night or something? Lemme know if you need anything because I am close.

As far as oil filter, the old one was a K&N, as I've previously used. Maybe only had 2k miles at most on that oil and filter. Might be in the oil pan in garage still, I could check it. These flakes I found were on the top side of the screen, so def not circulating in the oil. I didn't pull screen last time, so they may be a little old. As far as bike, runs fine, no tick or discernible valve noise. As far as clutch, stock clutch, or atlas I haven't replaced it. Feels like it did as I always remembered it. I've had a rough shift here or there depending on the traffic situation, butI don't think its roasted. The oil that I drained was still semi transparent. A little dark, but could see light through the stream as it drained.

And Chris, we did meet...hooked you up with a free stock windscreen last year...plus I don't do the bike scene too much. Unwanted noise in those situations sometimes...