View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #77
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren13 View Post
Haha - if you don't want to wear a helmet, that's fine. Be a dumbass and suffer for the rest of your life if you crash.

But don't give them extensive lengthy medical care if they suffer brain damage because of the lack of a helmet in a crash. unless they can pay up front in cash or they have insurance that pays every cent of it.

I don't believe in this "protect the right to be a dumbass" attitude. If it is a law to have airbags in your car, to have a seatbelt on, to have proper lights/turnsignals/mirrors on your car, then it should be a god damn law to have to wear a helmet while on a bike. Same exact thing.
You seem to be under the delusion that you wont be hurt or killed if you are wearing your helmet. A helmet improves your odds of surviving a crash, it does not guarantee that you will survive.

Also, in FL anyway, I am not aware of any law that requires cagers to use airbags. The requirement is for cars to have them, not for people to actually use them. In fact, some cars have a factory switch to turn them off.

Anyhow, if I suffer a TBI, helmet or no, I don't want to be kept alive if I am just going to be a veggie. But if a cager pulls in front of me, he's going to pay for my medical care short of that.

In any event, a law requiring you to wear a helmet violates your personal freedoms. I think that is what this thread is about and not whether helmets help or not.

BTW, seat belt and helmet laws are not about safety or heath care. They are about giving the po po a reason to pull you over when you aren't doing anything wrong. They are just ways to violate your rights.