View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #1
MattP3
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Question Fork oil question

Hello! Glad to be a new member (been lurking for years)! I searched and dug for a long while and couldn't come up with an exact answer while lurking. Here is the short version....long version below. ""In the picture can I just remove this black cap to gain access to the fork oil and add some back in until I can get the seals changed (without center stand & removing forks). Yes I know the dangers of it getting on my brakes . I do not own a center stand, car stand or a vice to change this all myself.""

Background. My bike has been sitting for about a year as I collected new parts, fairings ect ect, to fix it all backup. I am just about finished (2-4 days out) getting it all road worthy and beautiful again. I have been working on it in the garage and 3 days ago, moved it to the center. Now there is a puddle of fork oil on the ground under the right fork (non got on brakes). Since it leaked that much in 3 days, I am worried that more has leaked out over the past year and my right fork might be significantly lower oil than my left side. I plan on getting to a shop in the next month to change out both fork seals anyway, but the shop is a 40 mile ride down the highway. I am afraid to take it that far thinking the right side might be almost depleted.

Is there a way to check/ add oil without removing the forks or putting it on a center stand. I couldn't find anything stating this is possible without removing them. I also could not find anything showing "the cap" that needs to be removed (pictures).

P.S. Sorry if I missed it in a thread. You have all been secretly helping me for years and didn't know it

Last futzed with by MattP3; April 10th, 2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pictures
MattP3 is offline   Reply With Quote