ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 10th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #1
MattP3
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Question Fork oil question

Hello! Glad to be a new member (been lurking for years)! I searched and dug for a long while and couldn't come up with an exact answer while lurking. Here is the short version....long version below. ""In the picture can I just remove this black cap to gain access to the fork oil and add some back in until I can get the seals changed (without center stand & removing forks). Yes I know the dangers of it getting on my brakes . I do not own a center stand, car stand or a vice to change this all myself.""

Background. My bike has been sitting for about a year as I collected new parts, fairings ect ect, to fix it all backup. I am just about finished (2-4 days out) getting it all road worthy and beautiful again. I have been working on it in the garage and 3 days ago, moved it to the center. Now there is a puddle of fork oil on the ground under the right fork (non got on brakes). Since it leaked that much in 3 days, I am worried that more has leaked out over the past year and my right fork might be significantly lower oil than my left side. I plan on getting to a shop in the next month to change out both fork seals anyway, but the shop is a 40 mile ride down the highway. I am afraid to take it that far thinking the right side might be almost depleted.

Is there a way to check/ add oil without removing the forks or putting it on a center stand. I couldn't find anything stating this is possible without removing them. I also could not find anything showing "the cap" that needs to be removed (pictures).

P.S. Sorry if I missed it in a thread. You have all been secretly helping me for years and didn't know it

Last futzed with by MattP3; April 10th, 2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pictures
MattP3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Matt! Glad to see you come out of the shadows.

/snip

There are plenty of members who can help you with your question. I will let them give it a go.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #3
MattP3
ninjette.org newbie

Thank you. I realized that as I did it, so I Edited with thumbnail links.

Old April 10th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Matt, you can tie the front forks up to the ceiling rafter to unload the springs and carefully remove the black fork cap. Other option is to remove the front fender and shove a "chock" inbetween the lower triple and wheel. It's a lot of work though for something so simple.

Old April 10th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #5
MattP3
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Matt, you can tie the front forks up to the ceiling rafter to unload the springs and carefully remove the black fork cap. Other option is to remove the front fender and shove a "chock" inbetween the lower triple and wheel. It's a lot of work though for something so simple.
Ok, I do not have rafters and the other option sounds a bit rough for me. If I can get my hands on a car jack + lift it under the oil filter cover, I just remove the black cap to check it? I assume there should be a bolt under there too. My main concern is release the pressure off the spring and I have nothing to worry about at that point, correct?

I have also ordered a new seal cleaner, since I cannot find mine. I am iffy about sticking other things in there that could break off. Thanks for your help.

Old April 10th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
short answer is yes

Old April 10th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat