I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Get in line!

Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:32 PM   #3
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Maybe after they perfect eBikes, they can figure out some way to put a camera on a bike without having to hold it...

First thoughts... CLUNK CLUNK CLICK CLICK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLICK WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Manual regen switch. "25mi, $1800 worth of batteries."

I'm really spoiled by my over-engineered EV (with a backup engine). I can't wait for eBikes to mature to where they meet my needs for pleasure riding, but this one seems like a very amateur hackjob compared to my Volt. I think it's great that he's doing this and helping to get the ball rolling, it's just not up to my perfectionist standards.

https://experimentalev.wordpress.com/current-projects/ is a local home conversion I stumbled across online. (It's a GSXR, so must be he already crashed his eNinjette.)

EDIT: This one from a related thread is yellow too, but it's a 2003.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #4
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Might be worth pointing out that the video was posted in 2008. Even the amateur jobs should be further along, given the near decade of development time.

Old May 5th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #5
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

I'll pass. I like the idea, haven't seen it turn out yet.

Old May 5th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #6
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I'm working on a electric assist bicycle.. with my old downhill Mt. bike that weighs about 70 lb. total with electric motor and battery..
Probably get 30-40 mile range on a single charge without pedaling... about $600 worth of motor/battery.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #7
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I'm working on a electric assist bicycle.. with my old downhill Mt. bike that weighs about 70 lb. total with electric motor and battery..
Probably get 30-40 mile range on a single charge without pedaling... about $600 worth of motor/battery.
If I can pedal around town and go 40+mph in the country, it sounds cool. Otherwise, I don't get the point.

Old May 5th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #8
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Here's a link to a page with many home-built electric vehicles. Some are really done well with both acceptable performance and range. www.evalbum.com
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #9
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I kept waiting for the sound of a lawn mower starting right after you turned the key. I'm still waiting.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #10
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
If I can pedal around town and go 40+mph in the country, it sounds cool. Otherwise, I don't get the point.
Few points, electric 2-wheel vehicles can be made much lighter and cheaper than adding $1800 of battery to a Ninja 250 rolling chassis.

Lighter weight vehicle allow more efficient battery management, more range per charge and less bulk to maneuver.

Ability to pedal can also extend range for travel, recharge the battery or just provide a backup when battery totally run out.

You don't need a 200-300 lb. 2-wheel vehicle to go 40 mph...

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #11
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14

My first motorbike
Pedal power in the back and electric power up front. 500 watt 48 volt 20AH battery. 30 miles and 2 hr recharge. I stopped riding it when I got my ninjetta in 2010.

Took it down bike paths and around parks with never a second look from the LEOs. Plus great exercise at twice the speed.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #12
headshrink

Quote:
Although I personally will not give up my internal combustion engine(s) without kicking and screaming, so for you and me there may little to no point in e-bikes, I do think there are many points to these projects. I think the point for forum members who create these hobby e-bikes is mostly the joy and challenge of designing/engineering, and building it. I'm assuming they often also value the finished product for either ideal, practical, or both reasons, but in the end we all benefit from the technology that comes from passionate makers.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #13
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I stopped riding it when I got my ninjette.
LOL, this is also when I stopped using a bicycle for excersize. I keep intending to, but they just can't compete with MCs. I know I'll fall back in love with my old OCLV it if I forced myself to get back on it.

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #14
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
LOL, this is also when I stopped using a bicycle for exercise. I keep intending to, but they just can't compete with MCs. I know I'll fall back in love with my old OCLV it if I forced myself to get back on it.
I got a gf who loves to ride bikes but not motorized so I am back riding a lot again just a lot slower now.

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #15
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I don't see what's so hard to get. It's a bike with a motor in it.

If I had 5k burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat - http://www.gizmag.com/freygeist-ligh...-e-bike/41410/.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #16
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I don't see what's so hard to get. It's a bike with a motor in it.

If I had 5k burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat - http://www.gizmag.com/freygeist-ligh...-e-bike/41410/.
Mine was < a grand and most of that was just for the recumbent bike. E-bike conversion kits are not expensive and install in less than an hour.

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #17
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Although I personally will not give up my internal combustion engine(s) without kicking and screaming, so for you and me there may little to no point in e-bikes, I do think there are many points to these projects. I think the point for forum members who create these hobby e-bikes is mostly the joy and challenge of designing/engineering, and building it. I'm assuming they often also value the finished product for either ideal, practical, or both reasons, but in the end we all benefit from the technology that comes from passionate makers.
I will not give up two strokes as long as I have any say. As far as street bikes, I will always have a warm spot in my heart for a internal combustion engine. However, if they make a lighter faster electric bike with a good range and a quick charge option, I'm all in.

My mechanical side will always love rotaries and two strokes and even four strokes or that weird motor with 6 cylinders and pistons but only 3 sparkplugs. (I might link this later) but when someone develops something better you should not be swimming against the current.

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #18
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
LOL, this is also when I stopped using a bicycle for excersize. I keep intending to, but they just can't compete with MCs. I know I'll fall back in love with my old OCLV it if I forced myself to get back on it.
This is me, too. She sits on the rack, mocking me, waiting, hoping to get out for a spin soon. She's light and pretty, with a headlight and a tail light in my seat, so we're pretty well set up.... just need to take her out more.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #19
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
...but when someone develops something better you should be swimming against the current.
Wait, what?

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #20
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Wait, what?
It was a typo, I meant to say should not.

Old May 7th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #21
"A"
vampire

Actually, some world changing implementation came from people who "swim against the current", Nikola Tesla is a good example.

Soon, I see roads becoming solar energy collectors, electric vehicles would just charge as they run on these roads, wireless, eliminate need for charging time, or even heavy, large battery.

Only when technologies that can benefit the whole world do not become monopolized by profit mongering individuals/corporations, mankind can have better chance to survive with less conflict.

When corporation CEO claims water is not a human right.., we need to fight back, Here's pretty good start.

Old May 9th, 2016, 05:47 AM   #22
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Actually, some world changing implementation came from people who "swim against the current", Nikola Tesla is a good example.
Yes, "swimming against the current" is a great way to be inventive. However, it is harder to reach an end goal than if you were with a team all going in the same direction. It is a lot easier to make a honda civic faster than to make a ninja 250 faster.

Old May 10th, 2016, 04:45 AM   #23
"A"
vampire

To me, "swimming against the current" means that you area against the masses.. if you have a team of people with you, you're not really against the masses... you have your own mass of people working with you.

Not sure what the reference is with making Honda Civic vs Ninja 250 go faster.. please clarify.

Old May 10th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #24
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
To me, "swimming against the current" means that you area against the masses.. if you have a team of people with you, you're not really against the masses... you have your own mass of people working with you.

Not sure what the reference is with making Honda Civic vs Ninja 250 go faster.. please clarify.
The few of us that are trying to make a ninja 250 faster struggle because there are very few of us, and not much aftermarket support. There are tons of people who try to make Honda civics faster, and there is tons of knowledge. If you want 600fwhp go on a forum and they will tell you which crank, which pistons, which rods, which headers, which cam, which turbo, etc you need to make 600fwhp. Those who race ninja 250's are much fewer than those who race zx6r's and zx10r's, so the guys on here that race 250's are swimming against the current.

Old May 10th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #25
"A"
vampire

Personally, if I want to go faster on any machine, the first thing I would do is to improve my own skills rather than spending money on performance upgrade.
None of us ever use the performance capabilities of our machines 100%, even on the track.

Spend the money on track days and just ride your machine to the max of your capability is likely better for getting your machine to go faster overall.

Even if you spend tons of $$ to get performance upgrade, without the skills, you are just more likely to get into trouble, hurt yourself or others.

Old May 10th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #26
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
That would be a perfect bike for Ninjas (assassins). Ride to someone's house in the middle of the night to kill them without being heard.

Old May 11th, 2016, 07:52 AM   #27
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Personally, if I want to go faster on any machine, the first thing I would do is to improve my own skills rather than spending money on performance upgrade.
None of us ever use the performance capabilities of our machines 100%, even on the track.

Spend the money on track days and just ride your machine to the max of your capability is likely better for getting your machine to go faster overall.

Even if you spend tons of $$ to get performance upgrade, without the skills, you are just more likely to get into trouble, hurt yourself or others.
I would disagree. It doesn't take much to push the stock ninja 250 suspension and tires to the max. (Sure, a pro could shave a tiny bit off, but the amount that you could shave off with good suspension and tires is much bigger). Any mod that adds to rider comfort on the track is a mod that will shave time off. Power and weight mods make much less of a difference, but you can still clock better times (to a point).

Edit: Driver skill defiantly comes first. Put my sister in an Formula 1 car and she would be super slow (not even factoring in that if you don't go fast enough to have enough down force, and brake hard enough to heat up the brakes the car will not work right. If you can't push close to the limits a faster car or bike would not make you faster, however when you are pushing the limits upgrades will make you faster. (Install some coil overs, and stiff anti roll bars into a car and notice how much harder it can turn when you are smooth on the controls.

Old December 31st, 2016, 09:40 AM   #28
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Not to revive an old thread, but I've been researching (i.e. killing time) this morning on electric conversions. As much as I want to change the pic in my 08 Ninja, and eventually do a valve adjustment by spring, I'm leaning towards serious thought of just making it electric. If I can get 60-75 mile range off an overnight charge, that covers my commuting distance to work and back, and any pleasure riding I may do. I commute more on my Ninja for pleasure, more than I just ride for pleasure. Career, kids, too little time.

There have been many advances in this space thanks to the Tesla's and countless others who have more or less done all the heavy lifting. One can literally buy off the shelf parts, and with some fabrication, create an electric conversion bike. At this point, its just a matter of what the right combination is. So....

I'll look a little more and see if there is some merit for me personally. Maybe I'll put a list together of components and cost. If any others on these boards have done so, feel free to kick me in the right direction.

Old December 31st, 2016, 09:51 AM   #29
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Frank06 on this board has built several electric motorcycles. I'm not sure how often he comes here, but an email to him might get you some good information.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2016, 12:15 PM   #30
"A"
vampire

I see the future brighter in electric assist bicycle.. less weigh to maneuver, less demanding in suspension parts and no need for license/registration/insurance.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 31st, 2016, 12:21 PM   #31
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I suppose that's also an argument for mopeds over motorcycles in general.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2017, 09:45 AM   #32
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

There's quite a bit of info out there on electric bikes, but there isn't an end all solution as far as retrofits. Looking into the Zero more to get an understanding of what makes an electric bike successful. Power to weight ratio is important, hence the need for LiIon batteries. I'm torn between DC or AC motor, and regen braking appeals to me...

There was a member here who took a pre gen Ninja and converted to electric using some off the shelf parts, and some Nissan Leaf batteries. This seems about the best route, buys it's just finding what works.