ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 24th, 2024, 11:54 PM   #1
itsanantk
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Anant

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Check kickstand switch for 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I'm looking to purchase a 2012 Ninja 250 but it has a problem of shutting off when going into first gear. I've looked into It and it's likely that the problem is with the kickstand switch being faulty. However to make sure I'm not purchasing a bike I don't know how to fix, I was wondering if it would be a simple process to check the problem upfront before completing the sale. I would just have to unplug the kickstand switch from the bike to test to see if it works. All I would need is access to the end of the wires to connect it to a multimeter ans see if the circuit opens and closes as the kickstand is up and down.
itsanantk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2024, 05:18 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
If you look at the switch closely you may find that its plunger isn't springing out when the stand is retracted. If that's the case you might be able to pull it out and be able to ride.

If not, for the purpose of test riding the bike, you should be able to unplug the switch and short the two contacts of the plug with something like a scrap of wire. Just tape it up for the temporary test. And if you do this, be sure to retract the stand when you ride!

Welcome to the board Anant!
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2024, 08:52 AM   #3
itsanantk
ninjette.org newbie

I'm very new to bikes (this would be my first bike) so do you know if the switch would be exposed for an easy unplug or if I'd have to remove any side fairing or a seat. I would prefer to check the issue before purchasing the bike so I'm not sure if it's easy enough to just check it out right away upfront.

Old July 25th, 2024, 09:22 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The switch button is pressed by the kickstand up near its pivot. That's where the switch is mounted. If you lie down and put your head near there, you'll easily see it and its connector and the wiring.

If the connector is unplugged or if the wires get cut, it'll behave like the stand is down and the engine won't run when in gear with the clutch lever released.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 25th, 2024, 07:13 PM   #5
itsanantk
ninjette.org newbie

Oh I see, so I should be able to access it temporarily without removing anything like the fairings or covers? I would properly fix it at home but I would want to see if I could temporarily fix it there so I could ride it back instead of towing.