ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 4th, 2024, 10:55 PM   #1
Boywonder
ninjette.org member

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 Ninja 250R

Gas came out during oil change

Hi everyone,

My bike has been sitting unused for a few years. I tried starting it and no luck so I took the carb out to clean it. Turns out it wasn't dirty at all. Put it back and it still wouldn't start. Decided to give the spark plugs a try and the bike started right up but after a few minutes gas started pouring out from the carb. After much weeping I went through the hell of removing the carb again. Turns out the diaphragm for the needles got torn somehow when I first serviced it. Replaced the diaphragms and put the carb back in. Started right up and sounded like it was running great. I went to change the oil next and when I opened the drain plug a ton of gas came pouring out.

Was this gas from when it was first overflowing the carb? I also noticed I had left the petcock on prime when I started it up. Did leaving the petcock open cause all the gas to dump into my engine?

I refilled it with oil and plan to drain the oil again before doing the oil change. Will that be sufficient or did I screw up my bike elsewhere and I have bigger problems?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2024, 05:22 AM   #2
ACL 9000
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2005 EX250, 1975 Suzuki T500, 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

My assumption would be that the oil got diluted when the carbs were overflowing.

I'd run it for the same length of time as before, and check the oil level. If it hasn't changed, you're good, but if it's high and full of gas again, I guess there's something else to fix.

It's possible there's something up with the petcock, but I wouldn't expect it, if the carburetors were obviously malfunctioning. When working normally, it shouldn't do anything that would cause trouble.

I think your bike is fine. You don't want to run a bunch of miles with a high oil level, or with bad fuel dilution in the oil, but if it's not already making a new noise it's probably good to go.
ACL 9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 5th, 2024, 05:25 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Leaving the petcock on "prime", in combination with leaking float valves, is most likely what got gasoline into the oil. If you have corrected the float valve leakage, and if the petcock works properly, you're probably in the clear in that regard.

(Typed in parallel with ACL 9000's post above)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2024, 09:30 PM   #4
Boywonder
ninjette.org member

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 Ninja 250R

Thanks for the reassurance.

I ran the engine and it doesn't appear to have gas filling up in the oil window so I think I'm going to be ok.
Boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.