ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old June 21st, 2024, 12:00 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - Mallory Dobbs on Racing in New World Championship

Mallory Dobbs bought a racebike in 2016 after riding for just six months. Now she is racing in the new FIM Women's Circuit Racing World Championship.

Click here to view on their site.

Mallory Dobbs has moved from MotoAmerica to to the FIM Women's Circuit Racing World Championship racing for Sekhmet Racing. (Sekhmet Racing/)Excitement built up ahead of the inaugural FIM Women’s Circuit Racing World Championship season that took place at Misano, Italy. Scroll the entry list of the 26 racers and the name of Ana Carrasco shines after distinguishing herself in 2018 winning the WorldSSP300 championship, plus Mallory Dobbs—the only racer to carry the American flag. Mallory traveled across the Atlantic to take part in the WorldWCR and compete on the Sekhmet International Motorcycle Racing Team run by Australian-born Maddi Patterson.

Sekhmet Racing team has a female team principal and two female riders: American Mallory and British Lissy Whitmore, making this team very special. Patterson founded the team in mid-2023 with the aim of helping women enter the sport she loves and to challenge the idea that women aren’t capable of not only racing but also running a race team.

Dobbs (left) with team manager Maddi Patterson (center) and teammate Lissy Whitmore (right). (Sekhmet Racing/)The start in Misano was not as smooth as expected with Race 1 being red-flagged, affected by a serious incident with Mia Rusthen after Dobbs was first taken out by another rider. Dobbs put everything into Race 2 and became the first-ever American woman to score points in world championship circuit racing, finishing in the top 15.

At the age of 30, Dobbs raced in MotoAmerica for a full year in 2023 on a supersport bike; she also competed in the Mission Super Hooligan National Championship. For 2024 she raised the bar, jumping into the unknown: a new championship on new circuits (she had never been to Europe before) on a Yamaha YZF-R7 she had never ridden.

Dobbs made her debut in the series last weekend in Misano. (Sekhmet Racing/)Based in Olympia, Washington, with a bachelor’s in civil engineering, during the week Dobbs is a project manager for a civil engineering company. On the weekend she puts the visor down and the “data” person becomes the passionate racer able to motivate and inspire people to chase their dreams.

We spoke with Dobbs in Misano at the debut race of the WorldWCR which is part of the WorldSBK program. For the occasion, the Sekhmet team raced with a very special livery featuring hundreds of faces of all the women who have inspired team principal Patterson and her team.

You started riding motorcycles in 2016 because you didn’t like to be a passenger behind your boyfriend. Did you ever imagine being in Misano racing on a WSBK race weekend?

“Honestly not, I would have never imagined to be racing in Europe at this level. But I have always been competitive, and I think I just love the challenge. I grew up showing horses. I showed at the national level at horse competitions and stuff, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. For me it was a challenge, something outside of the norm. The same when I started riding a bike, just six months later I bought a racebike and here we are.

“I like breaking barriers. I really enjoyed competing in MotoAmerica last season and then came the opportunity to race in Europe. Another demanding adventure.”

What do you like most about racing?

“It’s the most challenging thing I have ever done. It requires focus, feeling, motivation, and determination.”

Dobbs had never been to Europe until the first test day of her Yamaha YZF-R7. (Sekhmet Racing/)Before the recent test in Cremona you had never been outside the USA—apart from Mexico—how tough is it to be the only American in the field?

“I think that traveling is the hardest part for us, but it’s also the beauty to discover new countries, cultures, and mentality.”

In America you raced in a competitive field, how do you see your new rivals?

“I know that I am racing with very experienced riders, but I wouldn’t be here If I didn’t think I could be competitive.”

How do you cope with the new tracks?

“I learn quickly. Last year I made my debut in MotoAmerica and had to learn eight circuits. I will do the same this year.”

How is the bike?

“My first streetbike was a Yamaha YZF-R6S, I competed in Supersport, and now we have a bigger bike chassis but the tires are a similar size of the 600, so I’m quite comfortable with the Yamaha YZF-R7.”

How have you trained?

“We’ve been training on and off the track, doing as much riding as possible. Obviously, the gym as well with running and other cardio. We haven’t been able to train much on the R7. We’ve been trying to acquire a testing bike in America which is obviously a bit of a hard thing. I wish we could be riding more, but I’m excited.”

What are your expectations?

“Considering the experience of the other girls, I am at a top five position.”

How do you feel about riding in a female championship?

“For me It’s an excellent opportunity to ride in Europe. In MotoAmerica I have raced against male and female racers, so gender doesn’t matter.”

How do you reconcile a job and racing?

“I like my job and I try to work outside the race weekend. Working is also necessary to financially sustain racing. Then it’s funny, because as much as I’m a ‘data’ person, I’m not a very analytical rider. When it comes to my riding and setup, I’m very much a ride-by-feel kind of person. I don’t necessarily need to know everything about the bike to ride, but it’s great to speak the same language which is why I think Jason Pridmore and I get along really well, as far as him being my coach.”

Dobbs says she wants to inspire others to live their dreams. (Sekhmet Racing/)What about the motivational aspect?

“Many people supported my path and I would love to inspire many girls, kids, and people in general that it is possible to chase their dreams and live their passion—and this in all aspects of life. In racing, for example, kids start riding when they are 4 or 5 years old. I started at the age of 22, so it is possible to live your dream.”

Did you have butterflies in your stomach before this international debut in Misano?

“It’s normal to have butterflies before a race, but I am also calm. Before falling asleep, I will visualize the race, my racing, and my target.”

FIM Women’s Circuit Racing World Championship Schedule

June 14-16Misano World Circuit Marco SimoncelliItalyJuly 12–14Donington ParkUnited KingdomAugust 9–11Autódromo Internacional do AlgarvePortugalAugust 23–25Balaton Park Circuit*HungarySeptember 20–22Cremona Circuit*ItalyOctober 18–20Circuito de Jerez - Ángel NietoSpain

*Subject to homologation