Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow Keith Code on the challenge of switchbacks, chicanes and esses

Copied from
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...ns_code_break/

"Making a single turn on a motorcycle is complicated enough; linking two or more corners in succession is even more challenging because you have to manage not only the corners but the transitions between the corners, too.
Learning to be less invasive while maintaining your connection to the bike is the best and easiest way to increase stability through quick-turning transitions. Conflicting bar inputs create instability and prevent precise steering and smooth throttle activation." - Keith Code
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 16th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #2
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I think I manage the transition between corners without much of a fuss, for me the biggest challange is getting Into the correct body position before the turn... I really manage to unsettle my bike if I try too hard... I was looking at a moto2 race, it really scares me how they turn...

Old June 18th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
I think I manage the transition between corners without much of a fuss, for me the biggest challange is getting Into the correct body position before the turn... I really manage to unsettle my bike if I try too hard... I was looking at a moto2 race, it really scares me how they turn...
Quite a common problem really. What are some things you can do to help you transition your body quickly in switchbacks, chicanes and esses?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #4
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Quite a common problem really. What are some things you can do to help you transition your body quickly in switchbacks, chicanes and esses?
I'm gonna try and practice body positioning while having the bike on stands... Hopefully that'll give me an idea of how to do it...

Old June 19th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #5
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

You can practice on the stands and on the back roads too. There are two concepts to remember in these situations. When a chicane is coming up you should be hovering a little over the seat. It makes transitioning your butt cheeks from side to side faster. You should feel like a spider crawling on the bike. Continue to stay low with the upper body.

The other thing that to utilize is vision. You should always be looking ahead. If there are handful of left right left rights but the rights are not very sharp or shallow, I keep myself in the ready to hang off position for the left turns and just flick the bike to the right. You should set up for the last corner of you will. This concept applies to double apex corners too. Just stay in the position of hanging off even while standing the bike up to go straight for a bit. It saves physical energy and doesn't upset the chassis. It helps with being smooth.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #6
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

When you see the turn coming and you're getting near the braking zone scoot your backside off the seat. You don't need to stick a knee out or get your upper body into position. With motorcycles planning that far ahead will help you be smoother.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
I'm gonna try and practice body positioning while having the bike on stands... Hopefully that'll give me an idea of how to do it...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.